12.5 C
Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Anjum Aqeel sent to Adiala Jail on 14-day judicial remand

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

ISLAMABAD The Rawalpindi anti-terrorism court (ATC) has sent PML-N MNA Anjum Aqeel on 14-days judicial remand to Adiala Jail on Monday. According to Media Reports, Police, amid tight security, presented Anjum Aqeel in the court and requested for physical remand. The court, however, granted 14-days judicial remand and sent him to Adiala Jail.

The ATC was hearing the case Monday involving the MNA in National Police Foundation (NPF) land scam case and other fraud cases. Aqeel also tried to escape from the police custody on which the civil court declared him as proclaimed offender.

Aqeel surrendered to police on Saturday, 24 hours after his escape, was taken to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) for medical examination where the doctors termed his condition as satisfactory. According to Police, he was shifted to hospital on the request of his counsel. After the medical examination, he was shifted to Shalimar Police Station.

Meanwhile An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Rawalpindi has rejected a police request for the physical remand of Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz (PML-N) MNA Anjum Aqeel and sent him on a 14-day judicial remand. Aqeel was presented in court after his one-day transit remand expired.

During the hearing, the police had requested that Aqeel be handed over on physical remand. The police wanted to keep him in custody and conduct the inquiry at the police station. The court sent the PML-N leader on a judicial remand and he will be presented in court on July 31. Aqeel is being charged under Section 780-A of the Anti-Terrorism Act, a non-bailable offence, and not under the Pakistan Penal Code.

Speaking to the media outside court, Aqeel claimed he was innocent and that he was being blackmailed and victimised. He said he himself surrendered before the court and he can not even think to break the law. He claimed he was forcibly freed by his supporters.

He said he is being victimized by federal government because it is afraid of PML-N popularity in federal cabinet and wanted to grab his seat. He said he would resign from his seat whenever asked by Party leadership. Replying to a question, he said, he was not tortured by Police but he used to sleep at ground in Jail.

A number of PML-N workers had gathered outside court and raised slogans in favour of the MNA. Earlier this morning, Aqeel was shifted back to Shalimar Police Station from Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Hospital, where he had been taken for medical examination.

Aqeel has been accused of involvement in the Rs6 billion National Police Foundation land scam and was arrested on Friday. Yet within hours of his arrest, he was forcibly freed by as many as 30 armed men, purportedly party workers, who laid siege to Shalimar police station in Islamabad.

The parliamentarian claims he turned himself in to the police on Saturday, though the police insisted they arrested him. Police officials claim that they arrested him while he was on his way to the Islamabad Press Club to hold a news conference. Aqeel is one of Islamabad’s four representatives in the National Assembly.-Online

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
Latest news
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related news
- Advertisement -spot_img


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here