Quetta: The inquiry tribunal Tuesday continued their probe into Kharotabad incident where 5 Chechen origins were brutally killed by dual firing of Frontier Corp and police on May 17. FC Col. Faisal and second FC personnel Taj-ul-Malik appeared before the tribunal headed by Justice Muhammad Hashim Kakar of Baluchistan High Court which recorded their statements.
Col. Faisal told the tribunal that he was busy in a meeting with Commandant FC Col. Naveed at Gazaband Headquarters when the incident occurred. Col. Faisal said a Subedar informed him about the incident on his mobile phone and he had been told that some terrorists attacked FC check post at Kharotabad. He said that Subedar also told him that a bomb exploded and firing continued near the post. Col. FC said he rushed to the site where he was told that allegedly terrorist had suicide jackets and other weapons. He said police personnel stopped him to go near the spot where deceased people were placed.
Meanwhile an other FC personnel Taj-ul-Malik told the tribunal that he was in the rest room near the post when firing started, when he came out he saw some people were lying down on ground while FC and police personnel were firing at them. Taj-ul-Malik said that he saw an injured lady who was trying to say something by raising her hand. He further said that security forces shot them in two phases which gaped 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile National Assembly Standing Committee on Human Rights has decided to write a letter to Chief Justice Balochistan High Court for request to complete the investigation of Kharotabad incident within the stipulated time frame. The committee has also setup a five member fact finding mission for an independent inquiry into the incident. The mission would also visit the Kharotabad. The committee also expressed annoyance over absence of Former CCPO Quetta and in-service CCPO Quetta in the meeting.
The committee met under the chairmanship of Riaz Fityana. The committee while rejecting the investigation report of DIG Investigation Quetta into the Kharotabad incident adopted a stance that the efforts were made to misguide the committee by preparing bogus report. The committee also issued summon against Former CCPO Quetta and in-service CCPO Quetta over their absence in the meeting.
The committee has directed both Police bigwigs to appear before the committee in next meeting otherwise the committee would be bound to adopt different ways. The committee while expressing concern over current situation in Balochistan said that the people in uniform are targeting innocent people openly. Police uniform has become a symbol of terrorism in the country.
The committee members were of the view that the country’s masses have lost their confidence on Police. Dr. Baqir Shah, who carried out the autopsy of those foreigners who lost their lives in Kharotabad incident, informed the committee that the five Chechens bore 56 bullet wounds and were shot from a close range of about 50 to 60 feet. Doctors have extracted 21 bullets from the bodies, he said.
He said all of the foreigners were killed due to multiple bullets wounds and there were no signs of bomb on their bodies. Committee Chairman Riaz Fityana made it clear that no leniency would be meted out with those who were involved in the murder of foreigners in the Quetta. The incidents akin to Kharotabad and Sialkot have brought bad to Pakistan.
The committee has setup a fact-finding mission for an independent investigation. The mission would be headed by Advisor to the Prime Minister on Human Rights Mustafa Nawaz Khokar and Kishwar Zehra, Farah Naz Asfahani, Raheela Baloch and Araish Kumar would be members of the fact-finding mission.
The fact finding mission would table its complete investigation report to committee after completion of budget session.