BRUSSELS, Oct 04 (SANA): Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi met with NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen Monday, registered protest against violation of Pakistani territory by the NATO forces. Qureshi informed the NATO Secretary General about the public outcry over NATO attacks inside Pakistan. He said the war against terrorism can be won with winning the hearts and minds of the people.
Pakistan foreign minister will also call on the presidents of the European Council and European Union. Qureshi will likely to discuss Pakistan access to European markets and other concerned issues in meetings with European leaders. Foreign Minister Qureshi is currently visiting Brussels to participate in ASEM-8 summit.
Consequently after the attacks, the NATO supplies from Torkham border into Afghanistan is interrupted by Pakistan government.
The Foreign Minister while apprising the Secretary General of the gravity of public anger over NATO incursions said that Pakistan would only reopen the supply route for coalition troops in Afghanistan once public anger eases and security improves.
“Unless the reaction cools down and we make sure that the supply line is secured, we cannot reopen it,” the Foreign Minister added.
The Minister further said the UN mandate for ISAF is confined to Afghanistan and NATO/ISAF forces are again advised to refrain from any actions that constitute a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty.
Secretary General offered regrets and termed the incidents as most unfortunate. He assured that NATO considers Pakistan as an important partner and has started a joint investigation to carry out a detailed assessment of the incident so as to ensure that such incidents are not repeated.
Ambassador of Pakistan to Belgium Jalil Abbas Jilani was also present at the meeting. Pakistan had already lodged a strong protest with NATO over border violations and the Ambassador of Pakistan in Brussels handed over demarche to the Deputy Secretary General, NATO on October 1.
Inout from Agencies