ISLAMABA: Federal Interior Secretary Syed Kamal Shah has admitted that the suicide blast at Marriot Hotel was occurred due to the failure and incompetence of security agencies and Capital Development Authority (CDA). Briefing the Senate’s Standing Committee on Interior which met here Saturday at Parliament House, he said the security agencies and CDA failed to take timely measures even a traffic constable had reported the presence of suspected dumper at the entrance of Marriot Hotel.
Briefing the committee about the blast, IG and SSP Islamabad said police had been tipped off about the terrorist plot that a bomb blast might be operated in Red Zone by using a vehicle having common or diplomatic number plate.
They told the committee that heavy security arrangements had been made in and around the Red Zone, but the security was not so intensified around Marriot Hotel as it, according to them, did not lie inside self-declared security zone. Director General Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Tariq Pervez told the committee members that the explosive-laden dumper reached at Marriot via Margalla.
He said the explosives used in Marriot were same as were used in blasts at Danish embassy Islamabad, GHQ Rawalpindi and suicide attack on FIA building Lahore. Pervez accused CDA officials of being responsible of excessive loss of human lives and assets.-SANA